Gara didn’t hesitate and jumped at the opportunity to own a 1973 Camaro. Before long it was loaded onto a flatbed in-route to his house and finally laid eyes on the ’73 in late October. Unfortunately, due to a busy work/life schedule, the car sat for 3 months until he could get started on it.
Once ready Gara had to decide what he wanted to do and make the hard decision between doing a resto-mod versus a classic restoration. After much deliberation, Gara decided to go for a resto-mod mainly because he didn’t want to deal with rebuilding the tired old 350 ci powerplant with a carburetor. Ultimately, Gara went to an LS which had unlimited possibilities and fuel injection. Gara’s 1973 Camaro underwent a complete restoration from the Ground Up, down to bare metal and frame.
With the car being from New Jersey it had seen some brutal winters and needed a lot of work and even some TLC to get this project going in the right direction. Gara inevitably replaced the 10 bolt rear end with a much stronger 12 bolt positraction narrowed rear-end to hold up to the power of the new LS powerplant.
Gara mini tubbed the rear-end to allow for the fitment of some additional rubber with 11 1/2″ tires on the rear and changed the leaf spring suspension to a 4 link coil-over from Ride Tech. He’s almost done with the project and only has the interior and some minor elements to finish. Gara says;
“I’ll be searching page to page in the Ground Up Parts Catalog to get all the interior goodies I need to wrap this project up!”
Here are some more changes Gara has made to this from the Ground Up restoration.
- A Dakota Digital Dash
- Vintage Air System
- Ride Tech 4 Link Coilover Suspension
- Viking Coilover Shocks All-Around
- 12 bolt Chevy Rear End With 3.73 Yukon Gears & Axles
- Wilwood Master Cylinder
- Wilwood Calipers Front & Back
- Retrosound Radio With Alpine KTP445U Amplifier & USB Port
- Alpine SPS Speakers Front & Back
- New Braided Brake Lines
- Circle D Torque Converter
- New Weatherstrips
- New Tail Light, Front Turn Signal & Side Marker Lenses
- LED Snake Headlights
- LED Taillights & Front Turn Signals
- New Headliner
- New Seat Foam & Seat Covers
- Soundproofed With Noico 80 Mil Sound-deadening Butyl
- New Carpeting
- Borla Crate Mufflers
- Tinted Windows All-Around